First days at home

Hi everyone! I’m finally getting around to blogging. Thanks to Pitt for the amazing post-it still makes me cry when I read it! Pitt has been amazing this week; helpful and happy, making me laugh until it hurts (and it does!), helping me cope, and most of all loving his son. He has work off this week, so we just get to practice being a new little family for the next couple of days.

So, here’s “the story.” Everyone has a labor story and so I guess I’ll tell mine. The day that my mom posted had been a pretty rough 24 hours. All day last Tuesday (the due date) I was having contractions. I didn’t know what to expect, obviously, but they were different than anything I had felt before. They kept coming despite resting or being active and they were consistent-every 5 minutes. So I called Pitt and he came home from work at about 3. Well, we waited and waited, I called the hospital for advice and then we waited some more. The contractions were still every 5 minutes. So we decided to go to the hospital. We got checked in and on the monitor, but they sent me home to wait some more because I wasn’t ready yet and neither was our little boy, I guess. Well, that was VERY discouraging! I was so upset. We went and walked around Smith’s Marketplace and got some frozen yogurt. By this time, the contractions were totally dying off and they didn’t hurt. We went home and tried to go to bed. But about every 45 minutes a painful contraction would wake me up, so I was up all that night and restless and upset and confused! The next morning I talked/cried to my mom and dad on the phone because the contractions had stopped. I was so frustrated, I just wanted to have this baby!! Pitt and I went on a long walk, I took a nap and went about my business around the house waiting to go for my Dr’s appointment at 3:30. Well, about 1 pm I had a contraction…and it hurt! Well, I didn’t want to get my hopes up, so I ignored it. Soon after I had another…and it hurt! The next one brought me to my knees! So then I told Pitt and we started timing. After about 10 minutes of timing, they were 3 minutes apart and PAINFUL!! I couldn’t sit still, couldn’t talk, breathe UGG! Needless to say, we canceled my appointment and headed for the hospital. It was just like the movies! Rushing our things into the car, speeding down the street, I was gripping the door handle and trying to breathe through the pain. I remember thinking, “If this isn’t labor, I don’t want to know what is!” We valeted the car and limped through the busy lobby at University Hospital-I’m sure everyone could tell why we were there. It was 3 pm, the same lady that checked us in the night before was there again and she let us through without stopping. Well, there were no rooms available except a recovery room, so they admitted me there. They checked and I was a 5. What a relief! I got to stay at the hospital this time, and get an epidural. Within an hour (of painful contractions every 2-3 minutes) I got the epidural. Wow, that was a good choice! It was nice to be able to visit with my nurse and be comfortable while watching the monitor go crazy with contractions and not feel a thing. Then I progressed nicely, they broke my water and I started pushing at 7:45 pm, then Emmett was born at 8:01 pm. That was fast! It was such an unbelievable experience. Suddenly, I had a baby in my arms, crying and wanting me to keep him warm. He is healthy and happy and hasn’t left our sight.

We feel so blessed to have a beautiful, healthy baby. We went to the pediatrician yesterday. He weighs 7lbs 9 oz now. He is eating great and pooping like a champ! The parenting aspect for Pitt and I has been fun. It’s surprising to me how fast we have gotten to know his cries. There’s one for food, one for gas and one for attention. I do the food, Pitt does the gas-I put it in him, Pitt gets it out. Ha ha!  He’s just so sweet and cute. No matter how much we say it, it never gets old. Enjoy the pictures, there are so many more to come! Thanks to everyone for all the love and support!


9 responses to “First days at home

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s